Like humans, with their complement of microbes that aid in everything from immune responses to nutrition, plants rely on a vast array of bacteria and fungi for health and defense. Over the last decade, research has revealed many new functional aspects of the crosstalk between human-associated microbes and human cells, but plant biologists are only beginning to scratch the surface of the often surprising ways that soil microbiota impact plants, from underground fungus-wired alarm systems to soil bacteria that can trigger defensive plant behavior or even act as a sort of vaccine. But despite these benefits, microbes are still primarily thought of as harbingers of disease……
Archive for the ‘Organic Lawn Care’ Category
Organic Solutions for Lawns
By Clifford Woods
Keeping your lawn as beautiful as you can get it means that you either spend thousands of dollars in chemicals that have the potential of making you, your family or your pets sick or you can move to a more natural way so that you don’t affect the soil below or anyone that is in your family.
Even the most beautiful lawn can have some issues but there are real solutions you can take so it comes back to its beautiful and natural state. There are solutions to every single lawn issue if you are willing to pay attention to them. The first problem common to all lawns no matter if they are organic or not is the ever-present weed, and they can be very hard to get under control. If you use chemicals you could not only get rid of the weeds but you can also burn and destroy your grass as well.
For a more natural and organic solution for your lawn, you will need to discover what kinds of weeds you have growing.
- Clover: the best thing to do is to pluck them out by hand and then add compost to the areas you’ve plucked and then add fresh grass seeds so that you eliminate the bald spots in your lawn.
- Pesky flowering dandelions: unfortunately you have to get at their root systems to destroy them completely but there is a very easy tool for the job. First you remove the flower heads before they turn to seed. If you let them seed then you will be looking at future generations in your lawn. So pluck the flowers and then use a dandelion weeding tool to get to the roots. The best way to prevent them from ever sprouting in your lawn is to apply corn gluten meal in the early spring and you will have yearlong protection against them. This is a great organic solution to these really pesky flowers that might be good in salad but not in your organic lawn.
- Crab grass: this is the toughest one to get rid of and it usually sprouts up because you’ve cut your lawn too short and given its seeds a chance to actually grow. You will have to dig the plants out totally, before they seed themselves and then plant your natural grass seeds in their place. The only way to prevent this from happening is by keeping your lawn mower on its highest setting and keep on removing the patches of crab grass that keep popping up and reseed as needed, as this will truly help you have a lawn solution that works.
No matter who you are or where you live there are organic solutions for lawns by just maintaining them and really paying attention to the organic solutions that are readily available in your area.
You can get some beneficial microorganism and spread that on your lawn to really get and keep it organic. This will keep your lawn beautiful and your family, friends, neighbors and pets healthy.
Find out more about Organic Solutions for Lawns
We brew Beneficial Microorganisms that eat toxins and offer Environmentally Friendly Products.
The Natural and Organic Lawn
By Clifford Woods
It really isn’t a secret any more, organic means healthy above and beyond any alternative. The subject of lawns is certainly no exception to the rule either as it has been proven time and time again beyond all reasonable doubt that organic lawns given only 100% natural treatments and preparations are in turn 100% healthier and safer than their chemical-enriched counterparts.
90 Million Pounds per Year? The trouble is, much of the world has become used to quick-fix and cheap solutions to their indoor and outdoor problems, which has in turn led to a million and one synthetic and chemical products hitting the shelves for use on laws and in gardens in general.
This in turn has led to a steep decline in the number of strict no chemical lawns across the domestic world as a whole. In fact, recent studies have concluded that up to 90 million pounds of pesticides and dumped on lawns in the USA alone every year, which has the potential to lead to any number of problems both at home and for the environment.
Why the Natural and Organic Lawn?
There are dozens of benefits to insisting on 100% naturally fed lawns, though among the most crucial are the following:
- As Nature Intended: Mother Nature never intended lawns and gardens as a whole to be doused with man-made chemicals, therefore how can you expect lawns treated in such a way to be as healthy as naturally fed lawns? Exactly – common sense would dictate that you cannot and this is the absolute truth of the matter…period.
- Known Content: Buy a 100% organic fertilizer or make your own compost and you can rest assured that you know each and every ingredient used to create the substances you will then be putting on your lawns. On the other hand, buy a synthetic or chemical product and chances are most will not understand a word of the composition list, so how on Earth can you be sure what you’re even using in the first place?
- Family Safety: Following on from the above, if you cannot say for sure what you are putting on your non organic lawns, then how can you be sure whether or not it will be safe for the use of pets or children, for example? While no chemical lawns can be 100% guaranteed as non-toxic and harmless to kids and pets alike, while those doused in chemicals cannot.
- Bigger Picture: Drenching lawns in harmful chemicals is bad enough, but what few seem to realize is what happens to these harmful chemicals once the rain comes and washed them away. In truth, they can end up in any number of rivers, streams and water supplies to create health and safety problems for animals and human beings.
The list goes on, but basically encompasses each and every one of the largely common sense reasons why fully organic lawns are infinitely more desirable in every way. It needn’t involve much of an additional investment in time or money to insist on only organic, therefore why expose the household as a whole to unnecessary harm?
You can find products for Natural and Organic Lawns at www.effens.com
We brew Beneficial Microorganisms that eat toxins and offer Environmentally Friendly products